Monday, September 1, 2008

Media Box

Watching a scene from behind a television set is such a beautiful and fascinating luxury. Every time I sit down on the sofa and switch on the television, my sub-consciousness tells me that this is the best way to sympathize with someone else, to see what they see. The knowledge of how real or how fictionalized a story is does not really matter to me, though the more authentic it is, the deeper the impact.

The irony is that one cannot truly feel anything physical or directly emotional. The lessons learnt and morals of the story are all derived from what the character in the story experiences by his or her will. Perhaps behind the media box, we feel secure and put on a certain degree of pretense we are not even conscious of. But in reality, when something happens to us, what we initially agree with those characters on will be entirely different from or possibly conflict with our real time reactions.

There are those sci-fi movies in the theatre, like the currently most popular – The Dark Knight. It is those perfect camera angles, the motions, the scripts, the costumes, the make-up, the set-up, the characters and their acting, which has taken charge of changing my perspectives on life. I have even taken the trouble to memorize some of The Joker’s lines, which I find reasonably sensible albeit his mad front and methods. 


The scene where his words inspired me and many of my friends the most was during his hospital talk with Harvey (aka Two-face)
to try and convince the latter that the death of Rachel was no one’s fault, but the Batman and the police’s. The Joker even gave valid illustrations to further contort Harvey’s already perplexed mental state, thus transforming him into a freshly risen criminal - Two-face. Heath Ledger’s performance was outstanding and was by far, the best actor to play The Joker.

Then again, there are those reality T.V. shows, news programs, documentaries that induce a feeling of responsibility to watch and consider them. Two big documentary series in my life now are those of a horror genre, “Incredible Tales” and “A Haunted”. It is enough with how frightening they are, and how compelled I am to never sleep ever, but the fact that these stories are on credible channels portrays how real they are, how alternate dimensions to spiritual worlds exists via doors we're not supposed to open. And to boot, I have an extremely translucent imagination and a chronic fear of the dark. 


All in all, my favorite shows are those that can render me crying and laughing concurrently, if you know what I mean. A decent source of those shows would be those belonging to the genre of romance, be they true or false stories, or even purely animated. I have just finished watching one of those drama serials, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It is lucky I have insensitive tear glands, because I still got pretty teary and found myself guffawing at times.

No comments: