Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Underwater Odyssey: 9-11 May, 2014

And thus, began my underwater mission to prove myself as an advanced diver. Having procured my Open Water Certificate at Dayang Island, I'd decided to take a second twist with Malaysia's Tioman Island to secure my Advanced qualification. Blue Reef Scuba was the company my friend had recommended to me, and it's at an utterly affordable rate -- about S$486 or so, I believe. Considering the market average to be about S$530, I'd say we were making a killing here. The staff are meticulous, friendly, invitingly professional and genuine. This was pretty short notice too, since I had signed up on the same week as the departure date, so I was quite impressed with their efficiency as well. 
                                 
Cruising around Tioman Island
After a lethargic and draggy ride which made us all stiff with boredom for hours on end, we finally made it. Well, there's the one night we spent resting and a good portion of travel by boat. But the dive boat ride, on which we could all gear up and enjoy the glossy, lush surface of the island, to the dive site was mind-numbingly refreshing.  Kinda like in one of those tropical-resort-getaway commercials.


Entering the waters in our buoyancy control devices, stoked to descend already
That's me trying to locate my mouth to put my regulator into
The dive commences and I take my first underwater photo
From the moment we plunged into the sensational world of underwater districts, it had been a non-stop action-packed, marine-brimming series of wonders. You could say it was comparable to a planetarium, only more real-time and perceptible. I could feel the plethora of currents and tides combing the ocean, ushering the divers along. It was literally like diving into a vortex, phasing through the looking glass.

We didn't just have a dive and a single lump of experience. It was fairly and progressively divided into skill introduction and neutral buoyancy practice (meaning we had to maintain almost absolutely stagnant in the water without rising or sinking -- also known as 'hovering'), in order not to hurt ourselves on the ocean surfaces or damage them inadvertently. Then, I had an idea that I'd been wanting to do for a while. Anyone recognise it? :)


Ever watched The Little Mermaid? Ever envisioned yourself gliding amongst schools of fish, dolphins, barrier reefs, sea turtles, sharks, stingrays, underwater caverns, shipwrecks? Or have you been bewitched by the thrilling expanse of a deep blue adventure? I have.

Spanning over corals, reefs, clownfish, decorator crabs, tube worms that look like they could swallow anything, it was as though we were walking on the moon on Earth. And gravity was being playful. Soaring up and streamlining downward was literally as easy as breathing -- or a thought, if you will. Our lungs act as balloons, but I won't go into details and bore you. Do your research. :P 

 Can you just fathom it? 70% of this and only a meagre percentage has been charted. Unlike technical divers, we were just recreational faces of diving scouring the tip of its tip. 


Not very knowledgeable about fishes, but I was trailing it desperately

Some kind of dais? Or a plate? Reminds me of a huge face-up clock face I once saw in Taiwan

Within this aquatic oasis, this haven of underwater envelopment, although we could bend the ripples and colours to our whims at a glide, we could not talk, nor act out of order. We were equipped with everything we needed, yet, Mother Nature was holding us to her bosom, flashing us thrills and tossing us bits of anxiety 16-20 meters deep. She was the puppeteer using the waves and currents as threads.  

For more pictures of the divers, check out my Facebook account!
And this is sorta why we practise neutral buoyancy. Nice to look at, not too nice to land on

I really like this shot too. I just looked up what a Zebrafish was and this ain't it, but I can't think of anything else I'd rather call it
This little fella was just gawking into the distance, so it was easy and fun to get up real close to it

A fantasy of untold (actually they were, but this is for dramatic effect) depths, with post-its of flamboyant marine foliage, nesting with frivolous lifeforms that were practically non-existent over the waters. 

Such elegant-looking fish
Either Zebra guy likes the attention, or he's a little confused about species

As we further immersed ourselves into the flourishing realm of oceanic residents, ecology, reef castles, and maybe a sea drake or two, I thought to myself: Before there's nothing left, I want to see everything.

That night, while I was bathing in one of our rooms, I could still feel the momentum of the dive pulsing strongly (people who have travelled on waters for long distances may know the feeling). Oh, and one of my instructors claims he saw a shark.
Sea urchins -- somehow I found my buoyancy improving rapidly whenever I neared these things
I think this is the brain coral. Amazing how coincidental it is, isn't it? Maybe it's, like, the sea's mental faculty, ya know

Caught a fleeting glimpse of a couple of mating cuttlefish, but as you can see, they ran away when they saw us
I found Nemo

Yes, I do not seem as photogenic underwater as I'd hoped
For the record, this was my second dive trip and the first time I had tried my hand at underwater photography. So, hit me up for dive trips. I need the practice, and we all need the adrenaline. Cheers!

P.S. Credits to one of my closest friends, Jasmine Lew, for loaning me her awesome Nikon COOLPIX camera -- waterproof for 18 meters/59 feet and shockproof for 2 meters/6.6 feet. Pictures -- courtesy of me, of course, and one (or was it a couple?) of my diving buddies.

No comments: